Creating and Saving a New Page
First you will create the Home page (index.html) for your site. You will save it to the local root folder of your website. The page eventually becomes the home page for Cafe Townsend, a fictional restaurant.
- In Dreamweaver, select File > New.
- On the General tab of the New Document dialog box, select Basic Page from the Category list, select HTML from the Basic Page list, and click Create.
- Select File > Save As. In the Save As dialog box, browse to the folder that you defined as the site’s local root folder.
- Enter index in the File Name text box and click Save. Dreamweaver automatically assigns the .html extention to the document.
- The filename now appears in the title bar at the top of the application window.
- In the Document Title text box at the top of your new document, type in the name of your site. This is the title of your page (different from the filename). Your site visitors will see this title in the browser window title bar when they view the page in a web browser.
- Select File > Save to save your page. Name it index.html.
Opening files in Dreamweaver:
In Dreamweaver, you can easily open and edit your documents. To open a file:
- Select File > Open.
- In the Open dialog box, select the file and click Open.
Save all Open Documents:
- Select File > Save All.
- If there are any unsaved documents open, the Save As dialog box is displayed for each unsaved document.
- In the dialog box that appears, navigate to the folder where you want to save the file.
- In the File Name text box, type a name for the file.
- Click Save to save the file.