To get video directly from your camera you would use the “Capture from video device” option. Then follow these instructions:
- Plug in your digital video camera to your computer. Your computer should recognize it. If not use the CD that came with your camera to install the driver so the computer will recognize the camera.
- Click on the Tasks pane: Capture Video> Capture from video device and use the Wizard.
- Specify a Name and Place where you want your captured audio and video file to be saved. Be sure to save all of your files to the sme folder!!!
- Choose the video setting. Follow the instructions provided.
- Select Best quality to keep it in DV format (This setting is well suited for a majority of the video you capture in Windows Movie Maker and plan to edit in Windows Movie Maker. Only save it back onto the video camera after editing. )
- Select Digital device format. (This video setting is designed to be used if you want to edit the captured video on your computer and then later save it back to a tape in a DV camera or VCR using the Save Movie Wizard These files can be quite large.)
- Select other settings. (When choosing a setting from this list, consider how you plan to ultimately use and share the video in your final saved movies.)
- Select the Capture Method. If you select “Capturing individual parts of video manually,” you want to capture only certain parts of videotape. These will be more manageable clips when you import video files into Windows Movie Maker.
- Click the Start Capture button and press the play button on your camera. You should see the video in the preview window.
- When finished capturing video click the Stop Capture button and press stop on your camera.
- Clips will now appear in your Collections List.